Chicken Supper at 6pm - Music at 7pm.
Sue Henderson Wilson - A first in Transylvania County
Sue H. Wilson was the first woman realtor licensed in Transylvania County. This historic event occurred in 1934. Sue opened the door for many women to follow.
In 1932, Mrs. Wilson was employed, as a secretary, by Mr. Judson McCrary. Mr. McCrary owned and operated a real estate and insurance business, with an office on West Main Street in Brevard. In 1933, Mr. McCrary became ill and found it necessary to give up the operation of his business. Mrs. Wilson secured a loan, on her signature, from the Transylvania Trust Company and purchased the real estate and insurance business from Mr. McCrary. This was the beginning of Wilson's Real Estate and Insurance Company, which served the people of Transylvania County for thirty-one years.
Mrs. Wilson was a "natural" in the business world. She related to and enjoyed personal dealings with the local residents. Sue Wilson was also a very compassionate businesswoman and a person of high integrity. She earned the respect of business leaders in Transylvania County and throughout western North Carolina. Many families found they could trust Mrs. Wilson and turned to her in times of need. She was a good listener and helped many folks secure their first homes by personally loaning funds for the down payment. This was vividly voiced at Mrs. Wilson's memorial service in 1997. These remarks from long time residents deeply touched her daughters.
Times were hard and business slow in the mid 1930s, however everything would change in 1938. Mr. Harry H. Strauss and his associates had located property on which they hoped to construct a paper plant. All owners of the parcels of land under consideration were willing to sell except one. Mr. Ralph Ramsey, prominent county lawyer, was handling the legal aspects for the proposed transaction. Mr. Ramsey called Mrs. Wilson, with whom he had conducted a lot of business deals, and explained the hold-up, which was the Ulysses Reeves property. He knew Mrs. Wilson was acquainted with the Reeves and ask her if she would intervene in the discussions and try to encourage them to sell their property. Mrs. Wilson did talk to Mr. and Mrs. Reeves and pointed out how the plant would benefit so many people in the county. She was successful and the sale of the desired property assured that the paper plant would be built. The rest is history!
Sue Wilson prospered during the 1940s and 1950s, mostly due to Ecusta being built and the influx of many people moving to Transylvania County. She was very active in many civic organizations in Brevard, including the Business Women and Professional Club, the Realty Board, Chamber of Commerce, Eastern Star, and the State and National Democratic Party.
Sue Wilson was also very active in her church, The First Methodist Church of Brevard. Her missionary endeavors were outstanding. Mrs. Wilson took it upon herself to minister to the people living in the upper end of the county by delivering food and clothing to many needy families. She was active in church Circles and other church activities. Mrs. Wilson was a member of the Methodist church during her husband's lifetime, but went back to her church roots, taking her membership to the First Baptist Church in Brevard after Mr. Wilson's death.
Sue Henderson was born in Laurens County, South Carolina. She graduated from Winthrope College and was prepared to be a teacher. When the Wilsons moved to Rosman, N. C. in 1926, Sue accepted a teaching position, but soon found teaching was not her calling. To help support her family, she took in boarders at the old Silversteen house where the Wilson's lived until 1932 when the family moved to Brevard.
Sue Wilson enjoyed a long retirement in Transylvania County. She remained in her home on Park Avenue until she needed assistance with daily routines. Mrs. Wilson lived with her daughter, Dottie W. Tinsley and her husband, Jim Bob Tinsley, for several years. They divided their time between the Tinsley's Ocala, Florida home and Brevard. Due to her illness, Mrs. Wilson became a resident of the Brian Center in 1995, upon the recommendation of her doctor, Dr. James Sanders. She continued to be physically active, enjoying daily drives with her daughter all around the county she loved, until her death in June of 1997 at the age of 93.
Sue Henderson Wilson blazed a professional trail in Transylvania county. She left a legacy in Real Estate history.
Sue Henderson Wilson
Student at Winthrope College
Sue Henderson Wilson
First Woman Realtor Licensed in Transylvania County
Submitted by her daughter, Doris (Dottie) Wilson Tinsley