The Allison-Deaver House is being operated as a House Restoration Museum. Stepping across the threshold of this pioneer mountain home, the visitor has an immediate sense that here, history is tangible.
Built in three parts, this mountain crafted private home began as a Federal three-room-plan house, built by Benjamin Allison ca. 1815. The house was doubled in size around 1840 by William Deaver, with the addition of the northern portion in the Greek Revival style. The double engaged porches were then added by the time fo the Civil War.
The Allison-Deaver House, known to be the oldest standing frame home west of the Blue Ridge, has remained in virtual unaltered condition for almost two centuries. Still observable are working fireplaces and the original paneling. The interior contains surviving early paint finishes, hardware and intact original molding and trim. Here, it seems that time has just stood still.
The house reflects popular coastal architecture from Maryland to South Carolina. In 1860, William Deaver's home and 5,117 acres in scattered locations was a statement of the prosperity achievable in the mountain economy.
The property was added to the North Carolina Civil War Trails program in 2008. The marker placed tells the story of the murder of William Deaver by "bushwackers" in February, 1865.
It is located in Pisgah Forest, NC on NC280 North, just north of the Forest Gate Shopping Center.
Submitted by Transylvania County Historical Society, P O Box 2061, Brevard, NC 28712